Billy's Roots


The artful weaving of history into creative narrative allows the reader to feel present in the events of Billy Graham’s ministry as they unfold. The story opens with a reporter, Deborah Matthews, at the bedside of Charles Templeton, an aging ministerial icon, suffering through a debilitating illness. Her job is to find dirt on Reverend Billy Graham. I felt as anxious to get to the “good part” as the reporter was to obtain any scandal on Reverend Graham.

This fast paced account revealed the ministry of and man called Charles Templeton, of which I knew nothing. Using Templeton’s history as a backdrop, the disparity between the two friends became apparent. I considered Billy to be natural born crusader, and was surprised and delighted to see the humble beginning of his ministry so vividly illustrated.

As I read Billy, It gave a rarely seen glimpse into the spiritual agony both men felt as they wrestled with love, education and life changing decisions, and how those choices affected their futures and their friendship. The book shared the unique ways God reached into their lives and blessed them. The depth and weight of responsibility felt by each man—what really happens when faith meets doubt—had me turning the pages until the very end of the book.

No comments: