Where Would Women Be Without Girlfriends?


I came of age in a school rife with sniping and backbiting. To make matters worse, my home life was not much better. My only sister and I seemed to be arch enemies and my mother was her friend, not mine. My best friend Lisa was going through a rough time at home. But because of the way she acted out, my parents didn't want us in any classes together so we were separated.

Lisa and I may have been casualties of our culture if not for one other person who arrived on the scene. A social worker and mentor Mary Lou. Because of Mary Lou's intervention, Lisa and I are still friends today. But I wonder how much different life would have been for us if we had the book Why We Need Girlfriends.
Author Frankie Sherman takes us on a journey with two women: Elizabeth mother of John the Baptist and Mary, mother of Jesus. Although at times I thought they seemed an unlikely pair, how much must it have meant to Mary to have someone farther along in life to help scout the pitfalls of the journey she was on? Frankie shows how God faithfully walked them through each phase. As I consider my own history, I am amazed at the women who showed up, always at just the right time.

The study is designed to be read and pondered over the course of seven weeks. In week one, you Pack Your Bags. Each lesson interesting and insightful. Each day passages of scripture are laid out. There are questions to answer that will bring those scriptures into a new light and level of understanding. As one of my mentors used to say, "You get out of it what you put into it." I encourage you to invest the time.

In my early walk with the Lord, I didn't have a lot of girlfriends. The women I am closest to today are the ones who took the time to mentor and invest in me. Why We Need Girlfriends is like having a road map to all the best stops on your road trip. I recommend this bible study book for every woman who wants to deepen new and existing girlfriend relationships.

Whether you are just beginning like Mary, or have traveled a while, like Elizabeth, Why We Need Girlfriends helps each woman identify mentoring opportunities as she ventures through her life. It asks the deeper questions too, how to keep the lessons alive and active after you've laid down the book. I'm going to get a few more of these because I want to be sure my girlfriend Lisa gets one!

This book was given as a free gift in exchange for my honest opinion of the author's work.

1 comment:

phinz said...

I find, as I get older, that the girlfriends who stay in my life are Christians and have a strong faith in God. They inspire me and make me feel safe and loved.
I see God's hand in this.