What's the Connection to Transforming Power?


Anatomy of the Soul by Curt Thompson M.D. wasn't what I expected. I thought the book was going to be dry scientific data made mildly interesting through case studies. I thought it would be packed with information for scientists and pre-med students but not laymen. But the book is concise and easy to understand even though the soul and how it work not so easily summarized and worthy of the attention.


Thompson states: "No matter how fixed your thinking or behavior is, research tells us that you can make a significant change in the way you remember your past... even though you cannot change the events of your story, you can change the way you experience your story." He begins by asking, "How well am I paying attention, to what I am paying attention to?"

Because the brain is seemingly much more plastic than originally thought, we can form new brain connections. As Thompson explains the basics of brain function, regarding their affect behavioral change, in terms accessible to non-medical students, he presents seven key points: Being known, Attention, Memory and Emotion, Attachment, An integrated mind, Sin and Redemption and Community and how these are affected by events in our lives.

He expounds on each of the points showing how each successive step is necessary the one before. He underlines it with Biblical passages and repeats himself to a small degree. Through a few well-chosen cases, Thompson shows how most were able to change their outlooks on life through Intentional Change. He mentions keeping the brain active through regular intervals aerobic activity, focused attention exercises and novel learning experiences. Thompson maintains that each of our brains constantly affects the brains of those we are around, and that a person paying attention to God can literally create a new mind within.

I found this arresting book surprising and well expressed.The book would be of interest to anyone who enjoys reading about the way the mind works, how memories affect our daily lives and those who want to heal traumas from the past. I found the book deeply insightful with exercises that are easy to grasp and a section that lists chapter by chapter questions for reflection.

Anatomy of the Soul is worthy of not only a first read, but also a second. I feel certain that the re-read will be as rich and insightful as the first. I recommend this book to anyone who is tired of spinning their tires and wondering why they have had difficulty making changes that last or that lead to a healthier happier life.


Tyndale House Publishers has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my written review.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Julie,
Thank you for your review of Curt Thompson's book! Might you share with us an email address where we can follow up with you?

Best,
Sara
saraallen01@hotmail.com