First Day of Spring

Between the safety of home and my favorite coffee shop, there’s a place I sometimes go that we call Oxbow Island. It was a new discovery just as the chilly part of fall relinquished its grip on summer. Down a quiet looking, barely populated country road, I was surprised to find a thin trail--barely wider than a pier-- leading over water to a natural boat ramp and a wide expanse of green, flanked by woods, and completely surrounded by the reservoir.
Before the rains came, the white rock and dirt road looked slightly wider, although not by much. From the skinny one and a half lane strip that connects the island to the mainland, one sees a marshy boggy alcove with trees knifing out of the once algae green water like coral spikes. On the northern side, water looks like it’s shuddering with cold, wind blown, nibbling at the stony edge of all that separates us form being stranded. The only thing out on the reservoir this chilly morning is the sparkling sun when it isn’t behind a silver grey cloud.
Today is the first day of spring, weather reports are calling for snow with twelve hours of it. I haven’t yet seen the tiny yellow forsythias blooms I keep looking for, the blooms that promise only three more snows- they say.
When I close my eyes, I can almost see grinning picnickers laying out their bountiful spread. Today my heart is happy, here by the water’s edge, where it believes for the moment that we are by the ocean itself. Summer is just around the corner. Summer, when lying on a shore-tethered raft would gently rock me into listlessness in the soft rolling tide. Sun heating, browning and invigorating every skin cell, sharpening the hearing of every beautiful sound, quiet splashing, the welcoming call of gulls and laughter of children running along the beach. I can even here the hollow metallic slap of the volleyball as it is vaulted over the net… And cheering. I can hear the sharp crack and sssst of a soft drink can opening, the inviting crinkle of snack bags, the snap and sizzle of grilling over glowing coals. And the murmur of happy beach mongers.
I can almost smell meat charring over fire, small the sea spray and suntan oil on the gentle breeze, a breeze just enough to tussle your hair and lift your spirits. Afternoon Sun, warm as a flannel blanket, warming your back and the sand underfoot. Fresh air feeds the smile on your face. It’s going to be a great day…In my mind, it’s going to be a great summer. It’s already starting out a great spring.~~~

No comments: