Night Maneuvers

My friend LV and I were talking about getting into situations where one has to totally trust in God, a faith walk. But how to define what that was like?
“It’s like night maneuvers, ” I said. LV’s eyes got big, and a smile crossed her face.
“Yeah, that’s perfect!”
We have so much available to us: altar calls, conferences, support systems, prayer, prayer teams, home groups, inspiring books, great preachers and God’s word. Every word in the Bible is designed to be all we need to equip us- for what? Night maneuvers. At some point, we are sent into the dark, the great unknown—that’s what we are called to—to bring light into the dark. But many times, we find the light and want to stay there. We spend all our time getting more and more equipped. When I was out in the dark on my own faith walk, many were content to hear about it. They didn’t want to go out and experience it. They were blessed to hear the tales of overcoming the darkness, how scary it was trusting God and how God always came through.. But when you are telling someone about a faith walk, have you ever noticed they are usually next to have their faith tested by some trial tailored specifically for them?
Often there is a period of denial. We try to walk like we can see. We trip. We fall. Then we go through a phase where we are afraid of the dark, because we can’t see what is coming next. Sometimes we are paralyzed at this point unable to move. I think it was Francis Mc Nutt who said, “ if you can’t see vary far, go as far as you can see.” The ones deep in their faith, are able to do this. Some stand near the door hoping if they complain, yell, cry out in fear or get angry enough, someone will open the door and let them back into the light. But that door doesn’t open. To grow in faith, we must move forward, through the darkness.
That hasn’t been my experience, or LV’s. It seems God leaves us there saying, “I have given you everything you need to conquer the darkness. No need to be afraid. Just trust me.” And the more we trust the brighter the light gets, it shines through us to others, to light the way for others. To be an example so they too can trust and let the light of Christ shine through them.
I think sometimes I’ve forgotten that God hasn’t booted me out of the kingdom when I find myself in darkness; it is just a test to see how well I have learned to trust in him. I’m equipped and have a guide! He gave me someone who can see through the darkness of this present world. He is always at my side: The Holy Spirit, if we trust him, will lead us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

God's word tells us that we are like a man who looks in the mirror and walks away forgetting what he has just seen. Thank you Julie for showing me the obvious yet once again. I was deeply encouraged.

Luke

Anonymous said...

Hey, LOVED "Night Manuevers" it made me laugh at myself because every time I get pissed off about something around here, I fume and try to figure out how to fix it, and then after I've WASTED all that time and energy, I remember Jesus will handle it for me and to just chill about it and pray. I think I'm going to make a banner that reads "NIGHT MANEUVERS" and hang it on my office wall to remind me to just PRAY!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey I checked out your blog, very very cool. What a comfy place. Beautiful work. I read night maneuvers. I will read the rest. a little at a time. They feel like they deserve time to sink in. while I am not at all surprised that you have another creative talent, I am always blown away by the quality of it. It’s like God getting out the good china when he puts another one of your gifts on display. Well done friend. See ya Denise