Think and Make it Happen

From the first word of his book, Dr. Augusto Cury encourages embracing and directing that complex organism—our brain. He outlines an important step in each chapter, that are twelve thinking strategies. A sampling of the twelve chapter headings include: Directing Your Thoughts, Unleash Creativity, and Live an Enterprising Life.

Case studies illustrate beautifully the impact of Dr. Cury’s critical thinking instructions, without a lot of hard-to-understand jargon. The book can be read with a discussion group or individually. Each chapter ends with Suggested Topics for Reflection and Discussion, Exercises and Reminders for Daily Practice. These topics and exercises gave me something with which to begin my journey.

By capturing and directing my thoughts I found the ability to manage my mind. Dr. Augusto Cury shows how to implement Doubt—Criticize—Determine regarding what I thought about myself, my circumstances and the world around me.

I’ve always wondered how two people can suffer near identical ‘traumatic events’ in their lives, and one is able to move on while the other has become mentally crippled by it. Often it is our perspectives and thoughts after the event, something Dr. Cury refers to as ‘Killer Windows’. He explains how to reprocess and re-edit hurtful or traumatic events and memories that plague all of us. It helped me realize I don’t have to live a ‘stuck’ life. I can move beyond it into a fully productive and beautiful life.

Dr. Cury’s book also showed me how to direct my thoughts instead of being victimized by them. I felt able to establish and follow clear goals, make choices to reach them and correct poor choices. I became aware of my limits, flaws and psychological weaknesses. But the insights in this book showed me how to persist in life through difficulties. While becoming more transparent, I’ve begun enjoying life more and people are more open with me. Think and Make it Happen has improved my life exponentially by solidifying relationships that were barely holding together. Now, I’m excited about my future, and the future of my family.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting. I may want to borrow your copy, if that's possible.
KP

Lefty Sloane said...

Yeah, that just might be possible! Let me know when and I'll get it to ya!