A Great Body for the Holidays

You might think it a little odd, okay, more than a little odd, and maybe even laughable, that every year right before the holidays gather much steam, I begin a workout regimen and pay more attention to what I eat.
That sounds backwards to you?
Below are a few snippets of info that motivate me, picked up over the years. But I warn you now, if you hear them, they may stick in your head also:

The average Thanksgiving plate with turkey and all the trimmings, is equal to 18 crème filled donuts.


Most people gain between five and fifteen pounds during the holidays.

One teaspoon of sugar will depress your immune system 33% for six hours. With your immune system depressed, it’s easier to catch that bug going around the school or office.
What I’ve noticed: the vast majority of Americans pig out, eat desserts on Thanksgiving Day, likely far exceeding one teaspoon of sugar and then go out the next day, shopping in public amid those of questionable health. Then a week or two later find ourselves with sniffles or a full-blown version of the latest flu virus.

You might be interested to know that the last time I got sick was eleven years ago when I indulged my sweet tooth to the detriment of my health. (If you think sugar is just a safe little treat, I double-dog-dare you to read Sugar Blues and be unaffected.)

But, back to the reasons for working out before January 1st. Most resolutions have fallen by the wayside before the end of February.

Gyms are practically empty this time of year while people shop. When I choose to indulge I’ve already begun a plan for burning off those calories. I don’t miss parties when invited, but I usually circle the veggie and fruit tray, go light on the cheese dips and look for whole grain crackers and bread. They've come a long way flavor wise and the whole grain are as good or better than their counterparts. I almost always skip cookies, pastries and pies but treat myself to a single glass of wine.

Lest you think me a hard core purist, I do have my indulgences. Fortunately for me, they are rarely party fare: Rice Krispie Treats, lemon pizzelles and orange cranberry biscotti. For one of these these I'll endure the inevitable headache and will usually go home soon after, limiting my exposure to germs and if my timing is on target, suffer the headache in my sleep.
I highly recommend the book Body for Life for Women by Pamela Peeke. She doesn’t beat me up for where I’m starting, instead, she meets me where I am. She doesn’t say I need to work out every single day and dump guilt on me if I only make it three times a week. The takeaway line that has meant the most to me is shoot for progress, not perfection.

If I begin my workout now, I can be more conscious of my choices. If I get side tracked or over indulge, I can pump iron. I can talk a walk, I can spend time on the elyptical machine. The point is, I am better off doing something rather than nothing.

How would it be if you planned to lose 10 pounds, and survived the holidays with no weight gain? I can almost guarantee that if you manage to get in some time three times a week, you will be more watchful of what goes in your mouth.

Speaking of what goes in—if I’m going to indulge I’m going to make it count. If I’m going to have one treat, I will savor it, enjoy it and put the craving to rest. You may find, like I often do, that after the first two or three bites, it’s just not all that great. What then? I throw it away.

What? You might see that as wasteful. Or waist-full. It’s your call. Meanwhile, I’ll be working out, getting trim so I can look especially hot in that sweet little outfit while bringing in the New Year.

No comments: