The Stone Soup


photo by Jules Clancy
When I was a stay at home/ home schooling mom/ artist, I don't think I gave enough credit to the moms who work a daily nine to five away from their kids. Especially the single parents. Since my princess has moved on to fund her own education and works a restaurant job I too joined the work force. It was kinda fun both of us getting jobs at the same time.

What I figured out pretty quickly is that  the liesurely pace I once enjoyed, the cool jazz playing all day in the studio, throwing pots and stopping whenever we felt like it for lunch is a thing of the past. I miss it. My days are filled with jangling phones, deadlines, needy people, sales people and reports. There is never a dull moment.

There is rarely a lull moment.
Everyday I leave work surprised that I now have to contend with dinner. I'm not overly fond of fast food, or eating out (who can afford it everyday?) and I am a stickler for knowing what is on my dinner plate.
I like to cook. I like to eat even better. But in a job that tethers me to a desk most hours of the day, I have to eat well. I don't want to stop anywhere to pick up anything unless I have to. I want to get home to my safe haven.

On the way home I wonder if I have all the ingredients I need to make such and such or this and that.
I used to love to cook Indian food. But the list of ingredients is a bit off-putting these days. It took me three days when I had all the time in the world. Now I really must get it done in an hour or less. I do a lot of cooking on the fly.

And this is where my newfound friend Jules Clancy from down under saves me. I happened upon The Stone Soup by chance, fate or whatever saves the working woman who cooks.She writes a blog about cooking with 5 ingredients. And if you are reallynice and sign up for her free cookbook with fabulouse photos Jules will even deliver it to your email box (mine is delivered to work). So you know I did. I love it. She always generously sprinkles in amazing mouth-watering photos. If you happen to be like me needing an idea for dinner, or just have a few ingredients to work with, or just need something completely different, now you can find delicious in a few ingredients, I highly recommend The Stone Soup.

2 comments:

Lisa Biggs Crum said...

ah thanks! love the Stone Soup site.

Lefty Sloane said...

You are welcome!