The French Roast Connection


I don’t mean to collect coffee mugs. You may wonder how can you collect something unintentionally? This is how it usually goes:
While attending an art show, I spot “the perfect mug.” It could be a potter’s one of a kind pride and joy. Or a new sleek design in a chain of coffee shops. When yard sale-ing in the rain, maybe the color suits my treasure hunting mood. Or I spot a rare design from that New Mexican artist I will likely never see again, especially since I rarely travel more than a couple hundred miles from my home. If it is under 15$, I will almost always justify utilitarian beauty.


A mug might be a gift from an old friend now lost, like my rainbow colored angel cup. Or from a parent, like the time my dad went out West and brought me a mug from Montana. It has a crack and absorbs coffee sometimes, but I keep it because he was thinking of me. And when the mug’s included in my morning coffee ritual, I think of him...

(This story is available for purchase. If you are intersted, please post a comment to the author.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie,
Just read your piece about the coffee mug. You bet there are Tues. that I'm drinking my coffee and thinking of you!
Miss you and our grocery outings together. Going to Aldie's alone just isn't the same.
Love you,
Vera (Mom)

Anonymous said...

SMILING! :)
juls

Sam said...

Aw! That makes me want to cry. *sniff* really good...writing... mom.

Anonymous said...

Juls your writing just gets better and more poignant with every entry. I'm so proud of you!

I miss having coffee with you too.

Jus' your lil' ol' friend in New Mexico. ;)